The Unforeseen with Book Publishing and Promotion Part 1

Photo from freedigitalimages.net ID-10070662 by David Castillo Dominici

Photo from freedigitalimages.net ID-10070662 by David Castillo Dominici

When I was uploading my vampire manuscript, “Switching Stations, Switching Stories” to Create Space, I had no idea that a series of unforeseen events would occur. I was on my laptop, hands on the keyboard, waiting for Create Space to review my vampire manuscript. After several minutes up pops a notification of two problems. I go into Internal Review and find the margins are off. So I adjust for no page border or bleed. Same result as before. I couldn’t understand it. So I e-mailed my editor and she said to e-mail her the file. I did and waited for her reply. When she did get in touch it was to tell me the file was corrupted. I was shocked! I went through all 342 pages of the manuscript three times and all of them were there. It turns out the bigger a file gets in size the greater the chance corruption can occur.

I had ordered a proof copy of my book “Switching Stories, Switching Stories” at the suggestion of my editor. I knew I couldn’t read the whole book again to find the little things that may have been missed. So I found a volunteer reader to help me. She and I over the course of about a month passed back and forth suggestions and changes via e-mail till the whole thing was complete. I saved one file and then made a backup saving both as I went. It was a whole lot of work and as I was to find out it was not just the one file that was corrupted so was the backup. I still had these e-mails from my volunteer reader thank goodness! When my editor wrote me that she still had the last file we did together, I was happy. I would have a greater chance of no mishaps if the rebuild was done on her end. And to my relief she had the time to help me do this and it wouldn’t take but one day. All I would have to do is make sure all the e-mails my volunteer reader and I passed back and forth made it to my editor in order.

The next day, Sunday, we got started and carried on until 10:30pm Eastern when I received the new file but the surprises were not over. The font in the manuscript turned out not to be imbedded as Kindle Digital Publishing requires. I got back in touch with my editor and waited. Fortunately, this one was an easy to fix, taking only until Monday afternoon to be done. I was back on track again. Even if it turned out that the book wasn’t technically available for purchase, it was fine. It only mattered to me the uploaded file got to Create Space and could then be passed to Kindle Digital Publishing. I was able to do both and all I had to do was wait for the results.

Photo from FreeDigitalImages.net ID-100253867-Portrait-Of-Beautiful-Smiling-Healthy-Woman-by-num_skyman

Photo from FreeDigitalImages.net ID-100253867-Portrait-Of-Beautiful-Smiling-Healthy-Woman-by-num_skyman

The next surprise I got was a pleasant one. Create Space made my “Switching Stations, Switching Stories” immediately available in their e-store. Then five hours later, Kindle Digital Publishing having put the PDF file into the correct file format, made it live for purchase. The next day on Amazon.com, “Switching Stations, Switching Stories” was available in paperback. And I got messages to create Author Pages for the US site and the UK site. Having done this, I was able to connect both pages to my Twitter account. I wanted to do an RSS feed so my blog posts would appear in a feed on the Author Pages as well. Unfortunately after three days of research, trial and error I was not able to make this happen. I was completely fine with this.

I thought after all this there would be no more hitches or obstacles, but there would be a new one and it would come from a website I wanted to use to promote “Switching Stations, Switching Stories.” I assumed it would be easy. It is what I had read from several people on Google Plus and Twitter that this website is awesome. In the next two posts to come I will share just what happened. It was a true learning experience.